WHY CLEAN ACCESS? WHY CLEAN ACCESS? WHY CLEAN ACCESS?
1. Do I have to use the Clean Access System?
Yes. All residence students and wireless users are required to use the Clean Access
System for network access.
2. What is
Access is a solution that performs
network validation. The software
performs the following functions:
authentication to the network
Validate whether the system
connecting to the network meets the
minimum security standards.
Quarantines the system until it
meets the minimum security
Provides access to the remediation
the system is validated as “clean,”
allows access to the network.
3. Why are we using Clean Access?
Your computer's operating system needs to be updated to
fix security holes. Also many students use peer-to-peer file sharing programs like KaZaA, Bearshare,
Ares, Limewire allowing unexpected forms of adware, spyware, or trojans to their
computer. These risk could harm or
eventually hurt the university's entire
4. What does the Clean
Access Agent do?
The Agent does two things:
1. It will prompt you to log in when your computer needs to re-authenticate.
2. It periodically scans your computer to make sure that you meet the security
5. What are the current security requirements?
1. Computers must have a installed and updated antivirus software with the
latest virus definitions.
2. Computers should have the most current Windows
6. Why do I have to authenticate to the network?
Authenticating to the network does two things:
1. It associates that you are a valid user
of the network.
2. It allows Clean Access to make sure that your computer is safe and secure.
7. Why does Clean Access ask me to log in several times in a row?
If your computer is connected to the network more than one way at a time, the Clean Access Agent might get confused as to which port the authentication request came in on and which port to send it out. Please only connect through either wired or wireless at any given time. You can either unplug your wired
Ethernet cable, or turn off wireless by a button, function key, or in Windows.
8. When does my computer's authentication expire?
You will be required to authenticate to the network any time your computer has been asleep, powered off, or disconnected from the Clean Access parts of the network for more than
240 minutes at a time.
9. Will I have to log in every time I want to use the Internet?
Not necessarily. If your computer has been on since the last time you authenticated, you will not need to do so again. Any time you do need to authenticate on a computer running Windows, the Clean Access Agent will prompt you for your password.
Clean Access track what I do on the network?
No, Clean Access only checks to make sure that your system is up to date.
11. My computer thinks all the updates are done, but Clean Access still won't let me on!
Your computer may have viruses or spyware that are preventing your computer from functioning properly. A lot of viruses and spyware will either trick windows into thinking it has all its updates done or disabling the ability to set protection settings, such as Automatic Windows Updates. If you're having problems, please either try cleaning your computer.
12. How often is my computer checked?
The Clean Access Agent will check your Windows computer about once a week to ensure that it meets the security requirements.
13. What about my game consoles and PDA's or other device that uses the network?
If you have a device other than a computer that uses the network,
please call the Help Desk at 771-3935 ext 228 for assistance. These network devices must be configured and/or registered with help from